Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Selecting a Country

Several people have asked why we aren't adopting in the U.S. First of all, we can only adopt from a private adoption because of Jason's epilepsy. It's a sad fact that governments and agencies won't accept couples with an epilepsy diagnosis. I also don't like some of the adoption laws and red tape. The birth mother has several months to change her mind about the adoption. The government will come into your home, where you have been taking care of your child, and remove the baby giving it back to the birth mother. 

I have always, always pictured myself holding a child who doesn't look anything like me. When I was trying naturally, it always bothered me that I couldn't imagine my child. I couldn't envision me holding my baby in a hospital. What I can see 100% is a child who doesn't look like me. I can see me going to another country, going through the court system, and returning home with my family a little larger. I can not only see it, but feel it. This is my path. This is exactly where God wants me. 

I started looking at ways we can adopt international. With the epilepsy, any country who has entered into the Hague Agreement, will not accept adopting parents with epilepsy. Jason and I contemplated lying about it. We know we can find a doctor to pronounce him fit, but do we really want to force an adoption?

Through my research, I came across independent international adoptions. These are countries who have not entered into the Hague Agreement. These countries do not allow adoption agencies into the country. Their governments control the process. While this can be riskier (as one has to be willing to do the work oneself), the rewards can be great. The fees are about half what they would be with an agency. They also don't limit based on epilepsy.

Click here to see a list of non-Hague Agreement countries (this is subject to change).

Looking through these countries, a friend recommended Ukraine for adoption. There are a lot of successful stories on adoption from Ukraine on the internet. It looked very promising! After a couple of hours searching, I found where Ukraine has closed all adoptions to foreigners for any child under the age of 6. This won't really work in our case.

On the list, Uzbekistan comes after Ukraine. I started looking at it and Kazakhstan, as those are both in the same region. The children are absolutely beautiful! There are not many adoption stories from the last 3 years, but a new law was just passed which helped open up more adoptions to international families. 

After praying on it, we are sure this is the region for us. We feel this is the direction God is leading us and are extremely excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment